With RubyRails promising to take the world by storm there have been a number of lesser known rapid application development tools. I want to highlight a couple of options for anybody who may be interested in a modern day RAD solution. If anyone has experience with any of these suites feel free to comment.
- Grails: Should be the first shopping trip for any Java developer that considers RubyRails.
- RIFE: a full-stack web application framework with tools and APIs to implement most common web features. (Claims to support meta programming.)
- Turbo Gears: My buddy just pointed this one out to me today. It’s a Python based tool that promises to remove accidental complexities.
- Django: Another Python RAD tool. Somebody commented hipped me to it about a day or so ago. I looked breifly at it and was impressed. I wonder how it compares to Turbo Gears?
- Open Xava: A JEE app generator that uses XML as input and produces full functional enterprise Java artifacts. (Hibernate descriptors, Java Beans optionally EJB beans, web tier compoenents and more.) I heard about it first on Javalobby. Sounds interesting.
My list is incomplete. There are many more that I will fill in later. For now I’m just planting the seeds for exploration.