Groovy, Maven, and GSpec Trouble

It’s not going too well tonight. I’m enjoying a 12oz. bottle of Labatt Blue and not enjoying my struggle to integrate GSpec with JUnit. The problem is my much bragged about Groovy Maven2 integration. I haven’t done anything with it in some time so I forget how things kinda work. Plus most of my prototyping was done on my other computer (which is 5 miles away) so I’m at a loss. Here’s what happened so far. I threw together a unit test to excercise a potential JUnitGSpecSuiteBuilder. The concept is simple enough. Create a builder that will interpret a GSpec file and provide access to the closures within. Well let me be more specific. GSpec works using a Groovy builder. The builder incorporates a collaborator object and provides a sort of DSL for the syntax of GSpec. (Forgive me if I soud a little stoopid but Mr. Labatts is talking to me.) I won’t go into too much detail (while I’m drinking) but in short I want to collect the closures that makeup the setup, teardown (teardown is actually called inConclusion), and specify closures and hand them off to JUnit in the form of a TestSuite. Sounds simple enough until I try to get my dumb environment together. I work between home and the office so there’s a lot of copying and code shuffling involved. (One of my buddies tipped me to Bazaar which I’ll start using shortly.) My IDE, and Maven setup at home isn’t nearly as elaborate as what I use in the office. So now I got these issues with Maven not finding Groovy-1.0 pom files. I side step that problem with a manual download then I have other issues when I try to compile and run everything with Maven. For some reason the tests compile cycle (which runs after the rinse cycle) doesn’t see the production classes. I’m just all frustrated and my ulcers are acting up. Here’s my dumb pom.xml. (Crap! I gotta install the danged Copy As HTML plugin…) I’ll see if someone else happens to be reading my site @ 11pm EST and cares enough to bail me out. (Chances are very slim!)

<project xmlns="" xmlns:xsi=""

I’m going to take a break and watch a Blockbuster or something. Holla…

Four score and several platforms ago…

Thus began the story of my latest commenter on “I Can’t Kopete with Windows“. This guy really knows how to blab but at the tail end of it all I felt enlightend. (I had to read several times before enlightenment entered my doorway.) It was a story about platforms, and AJAX, and rendering engines and the like. A story like no other before it, this story seeked to explain the mysteries behind such things as, “why can’t I veiw my bank statement with my Mac?” and shed light on questions like, “if it renders faster then why doesn’t everyone use it?” Told from the vantage point of a long time blogger, ex Java/Linux guy, and licensed poo tosser, the story explained the importance of remembering that although the innovations are there the world is not yet ready for them. Our guru, poo in hand, later highlights recent hardware as the original cruft we used to run Star Control on reencarnated in a side by side higher voltage form than yester-year.

Long story shortened, my issues with Kopeting with MSN are directly tied to lackluster support for an interesting and nimble web rendering engine. I never paid much attention to the KHTML side of Konqueror before but now I have my eyes opened even if the rest of the world has their eyes shut. It’ll be interesting if/when Gecko is ported to KDE but it will also be interesting if KHTML support were a bit broader. I’m not going to speak much more on the topic because I’ll just be making up stuff, so I’m out for now. Break me off sumn…